A Welsh language newspaper, which was established, initially unsuccessfully, in Carmarthen in 1851 by Samuel Evans (Gomerydd, 1793-1856), but was later re-established in 1856, under the editorship of J. Emlyn Jones (Ioan Emlyn, 1818-1873). The newspaper's main content included local, national and foreign news, together with radical viewpoints. It began as a biweekly paper, but in 1863 it changed to a weekly one. The printer W. Morgan Evans owned the paper until in 1880, when he sold it onto a Baptist company. Amongst the newspaper's editors were Benjamin Thomas (Myfyr Emlyn, 1836-1893), John Gwili Jenkins (1872-1936) and D. Eirwyn Morgan (1918-1920).